Sunday 12 May 2013

The Interview

The interview went exceedingly well and the person who interviewed me was so lovely!

Before interviewing I really wanted some more information on what to expect, but I didn’t really find much. Maybe this post will be useful for people thinking of applying or who have applied to Peppy.
The interview is broken down into four parts.

1. The Grammar Test

To begin with you are given a short grammar test. This lasts around 15 minutes. You are asked to write a short piece on a topic from a list, around 300 words long. I wrote about my long and shor term goals.

You then answer a few questions on grammar. You pick out what is wrong or how to improve some written sentences. Easy peasy!

2. The Presentation

Next is a prentation about the company. Information on schedules, working day, training, living arrangements, wages, expectations, etc. I won’t go into detail here as most of this information is available on the internet already. Check out their website for such info!

There is also a short video of a typical lesson at Peppy. This was aodrable! The lesson was to young children and they were so hyper and excited! One kid started off crying and not wanting to join in but by the end of the lesson he was loudest shouting ‘Cucumber!’ haha. (They were studying vegetables). It made me so happy to see the kids and got me excited about starting!

3. The Interview Questions

The usual affair. Questions like ‘Why Peppy?’, ‘Why Japan?, etc. along with some questions related to what you would do in certain situations. Typical teaching/ TEFL interview questions. Just by yourself and be honest and you will be fine! ^^

4. The Demo

When I was invited to interview I was told that I needed to prepare a five minute demo to imaginary 5 year olds. This got me nervous! I kept changing my mind and wasn’t sure what to cover in such a short time. Eventually I decided to go with a simple song: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes!

This was kind of embarrasing as I was doing it to two grown women rather than real children, but once I got started it was really fun and they really seemed to enjoy it and take part! My singing isn’t great but i tried to be enthusiastic and speak clearly when I said the words.

And that’s that!

I was super nervous for my interview. After hearing how terrifying the JET interview is I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was really laid back and the interviewer was really friendly. You also learnt alot about the company, which left me with no doubts that I was making the right choice.

Hope this is useful for people out there thinking of going to Japan and trying to pick who to go with!

No comments:

Post a Comment