Saturday 11 May 2013

So It Begins!

Hey!
This was going to be in a new blog, but then I realised I might as well just use this one! So I’ve got a job in Japan! Woo!

That’s right! I will be travelling to the other side of the world, to the land of the rising sun, to teach English as a foreign language.

I am SO EXCITED!

My chosen company is Peppy Kids Club! I had previously applied (twice) to JET and failed (twice) to even get interviewed *sob* but I did not give up hope of getting to Japan! For the last year I have been working as a Teaching Assistant after graduating from university with a degree in Fine Art Practice. I applied a little over a month ago for a position with Peppy, interviewed last Saturday and have just been told that I got it! Yay!

Peppy is an eikaiwa company, but with a little difference. For a start there isn’t that much info out there! At least compared to other companies or JET. Although like most eikaiwas the stuff I have read has been mixed reviews. But, to me, it sounds almost perfect!
Peppy Kids Club are small one room classrooms scattered across Japan, running lessons for children (only children) ages 2 to 17. All the lessons take part in the afternoon and evening, so they fit in with school hours. You teach 2 to 4 hour long lessons a day, with two days off a week. You get travel re-imbursed, a company apartment (no key money, yay! Just rent, eh…) as well as basic furnishing, etc. Great!

Like most private companies you must pay for your own flights, but that isn’t too big a deal. You also get paid the average eikaiwa pay, around 240,000 yen a month, but you work less hours! I have heard that there can be longish commutes, but these are paid for by the company and you would still be working much shorter hours, even including the commute!

My attraction was that you work only with children! A lot of eikaiwas also teach business English, etc and adult classes but I want to work with children. So perfect!

Well. This was meant as a short intro to this forthcoming blog, but it’s trailed on a fair bit…

Basically I will be flying out to Japan in August and working with Peppy Kids Club! (Placement to be confirmed)

Stay tuned! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment